Thursday, December 17, 2009

CANDY 280-364

SUMMARY
In this section Candy continues her desire to go to Iggy... in fact Iggy ends up finding Joe's number and calls him asking for his "bleep". He threatened Joe to give him Candy by keeping Gina held captive. Joe heard Gina through the phone and envisioned himself killing Iggy. He had to choose between his sister Gina... or Candy. He told Candy she is not going back to him because he will kill her. Candy argued there was no other choice... Iggy expects Joe and Candy to be at the cottage and he'd be there in two hours. Mike, Gina's fiance called Joe asking for Gina and scared to say, Joe told him where she was and Mike sped his way to the cottage. When Iggy arrived Joe wanted to see Gina before he'd give up Candy. I actually got confused when Candy stood over Mike with a knife and his blood on it... then she ran to Iggy telling him she only left because Joe forced her to. Then she stabbed Iggy in his neck. The police came; they arrested Candy and life sort of went back to normal. He visited Candy for a final time at a mental institution. She apologized to him for everything that has happened because of her and that was the last time Joe ever spoke to Candy again.

QUOTE
"From six o' clock until midnight, Candy's soul screamed in every way possible: temperature raged from hot to cold; her limbs burned; she sweated slime; her muscles ached; her stomach knotted; her skin itched; her eyes watered;her nose streamed; her head throbbed; she smelled bad; she sneezed so violently I thought she was going to burst something. And all the time, on top of this, there was vomiting and diarrhea and raging thirst and waking dreams...
And all because of chemistry.
Her body was holding her ransom. Give me what I want or I'll make you sick. I'll hurt you. I'll kill you. I'll drive you insane. GIVE ME WHAT I WANT!" (Brooks 295).


REACTION
This was the scene where Candy decided she would go to Iggy and get more drugs. Joe would not let her leave; he stood in front of the door and told her she was not going any where. Joe describes what Candy is going through vividly. I can pretty much picture her to be a sad and pathetic girl sitting on the floor going crazy and looking disturbed all because of drugs. I chose this quote because its very detailed and even uses personification at the end. Where her body was personified to "holding her ransom" threatening her to go get the drugs she "needs" or it would do horrible things to her. I also like this quote because you can tell through Joe's tone that he feels really bad for Candy. For example when he says "on top of this" he is basically saying "oh my god... and what is worse is...".

1 comment:

  1. nice work with the quote.

    What I don't understand at the end (and what has confused me all along) is how Joe feels. His motivation for helping Candy never seems real to me, and with her locked away, how does he get back to a "normal" life?

    ReplyDelete